Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Meltdown Monday

A "meltdown", as defined in Webster's Dictionary, is a breakdown of self-control (as from fatigue or overstimulation). That's exactly what I had yesterday. Let me set the scenario for you if I may:
I went to work as usual. It was a Monday, of course, which meant our schedule would be heavier than any other day of the week. There were a lot, and I mean OODLES of patients on the schedule, but we know that we can all work together to get the job done. By 7:50am, Susan, our "Master In Command" for the day, had already been to the front desk to make certain that we were all made aware that we were "under minimum staffing". In other words this meant that they let too many people off at the same time and/or too many people called in sick. By her supurb managerial attitude, the tone for the day had been set. Our department manager was asked to scan patients also to help with workflow issues. Fast forward this story by one hour. Around 9am there was a patient who had waited over 45 minutes for his test and still had not been called back. He had a meeting in High Point at 10am and needed to reschedule his test. When our manager saw that he, along with another patient by this time, had left due to a delayed wait time, she hit the roof! She immediately wanted to know why WE (the front desk idiots) had not informed the patients that they were understaffed and behind on tests! (BTW, that's not MY "the idiot" JOB!)
After being yelled at, which I can assure you goes over like a turd in a punchbowl with me, I heard all I cared to from her. She didn't bother to come in and say, "Good Morning" or "How's things going today?". Oh no, she just managed to jump down people's throats and act defensively when approached with a crisis. Some things will never change.
I managed to trudge through the day with a horrible attitude. FINALLY 3:30pm came and I clocked out as fast as I possibly could. I had to meet Zac so he could drop the church bus off for repairs and headed home shortly thereafter. All I wanted to do was clean my house. That's MY (the idiot's) therapy. :)
We walked in to door and Zac ordered me to lay down and rest. He could tell that the day had taken its toll on me. He could see it in my eyes. Again, ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS TO CLEAN MY HOUSE! Bless his heart, he has such good intentions of wanting to do things for me but after I bawled my eyes out and pitched a fit, he was scrubbing the tub and toilet while I cleaned the kitchen like nobody's business. He explained to me that he thought I had a problem with accepting authority. Hmm....maybe after reading this blog, I do have a problem!
My BFF in the whole.wide.world sent me a note saying that I needed a vacation. A REAL Vacation! Not one that I worked my fingers to the bone or was responsible for chaperoning youth, but a real-rootin'-tootin' vaca where I was just lazy! I'm going to work on scheduling that, but for now, Hilton Head with Lori and the other fun SCENTSational women will definitely do the trick! I'm looking forward to the road trip with Lori, talking, laughing....just getting to know her better. Road trips are my fave! I love the ride down almost as much as I do the vacation itself :) I'm weird, I know. While we're in HH, we're going to shop, walk around and (Squeals with excitement!!) we're going to SAVANNAH!!! I've always wanted to go there to soak it all in. We won't have long to do much, except eat at "The Lady & Sons", Paula Deen's restaurant, but I'm going to absorb all I can. Pictures will be uploaded to FB accordingly ;)
That's the highlight of my week. Just praying the panic attacks and nerves keep away for the remainder of this work-week. YIPPEEE for great weekends!

1 comment:

  1. I wanna go to Savannah, too!!! Maybe we can schedule a follow up trip down the road sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete